Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thoughts on Colorado Arts Advocacy Day 2014

I believe in speaking up for what you are passionate about.  I believe in speaking up for what is right.  I believe in giving a face to a cause.  That is why I participated in Arts Advocacy Day at the Colorado State Capitol building yesterday.  I had the honor of accompanying 12 students from the CSU LEAP program and watching them become advocates for the arts. I confess, I have been doing this stuff for over 20 years and I am a bit worn out.  Especially when you sit in the Gallery in the House of Representatives and watch them be disrespectful of one another by continuing to talk and walk around after the house was brought to order.  The poor woman in charge had to pound her gavel two times to get them to shut up and they just ignored her.  Really, worse than any classroom I have ever taught in.. Learn some manners, Congress!

But, for all of that, I still believe you need to own your cause.  Are you an Artist who wants to make a living?  How do you intend to to do that?  Do you need politicians to 'fund' the arts?  or should we try to do it ourselves in the pull up your bootstraps mentality?  Whatever you believe, own it and let everyone (including your representatives) know. 

As for me, I did not talk to any of my Representatives yesterday.  There isn't a bill or issue pertaining to the Arts up for debate at the moment.  My focus lately is on a local level.  I write my City Representative often and I am very disappointed about the current state of the Arts in Fort Collins.  The SCFD issue seems burning and important and LOCAL.  But the question becomes how will this funding help Individual Artists? I'm sure that will get fleshed out over time, but without an 'Arts Council' to guide the funding I don't see much in it for me, personally, although I do support the idea of a consistent funding source not controlled by the  City Council.

What do you think?  DO politics matter when it comes to the Arts?  Can SCFD solve all of our Arts Funding needs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here.