Monday, March 9, 2015

Americorps and the quest for purpose

I am an Americorps Alumnus.  My time with Americorps coincided with my Graduate Degree in Community Arts from the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore, MD.  During the program, I was placed at the JCC of Baltimore as their Artist in Residence.  I primarily worked with Preschoolers at the JCC and a group of Seniors who had recently moved into Senior housing next the the JCC.  I enjoyed my time there and I especially enjoyed the Community Service aspect of Americorps.  Whenever I see Americorps folk out doing their thing (like last year in Yellowstone National Park fixing a walkway) I stop and talk and have a sense of camaraderie.   If you or someone you know seems to be drifting, unsure of their purpose in life,  might be the thing for them.  Many Americorps programs have cultural or Artistic opportunities to use your art skills in the service of others.  It is a great feeling, being appreciated for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here.