Friday, March 27, 2015

Mayorial Candidate Mike Pruznick Responds

 1.  Do you have a favorite Artist or Art Event in Fort Collins?
I could cheat this question by asking my arts-engaged family for the
right answer, but would rather be honest and say I don't have a
favorite local artist or art event. That said, I hear a lot of good
things about Beet Street, The Lyric, The Aggie, and read the Scene
periodically.  I support the arts and I'm on the record expressing my
concern about the decline in arts.  Arts teach kids how to express
themselves in a positive and constructive manor that overlaps into
personal and work relationships that can solve many of our social
problems before they start.
2.  How do you envision the future of the the Fort Collins Arts Community?
The Citizen comment section State of the City address made it very
clear that the people want more local small events (as opposed to a 
huge stadium or Denver-style performing arts center).  Most arts events 
today (that I'm aware of) are really economic events with art.  They
are about revenue for the non-artist.  I think it would be great if the
Oak Street Plaza had a little stage and artists could check it out like
a pavilion in the park, do performances, sell their wares, ask for
donations using the Amanda Palmer Ted Talk model.  By reducing overhead
and creating smaller and medium venues, the city gives everyone gets a
chance to try and a growth path for those that are successful.  I don't
like the city picking the artists, but providing that opportunity for
the people to pick.

3. Are you aware that Fort Collins does not have an Arts Council?  Do you think we need one?
I'm not sure what the right tool is, but the arts in public places
program is not enough (it is the city picking the winners and losers).
While pretty freeway overpasses are nice, I would rather see that money
go into developing local arts programs.  I like the idea of an Arts
Incubator to compliment the RMI facility for technology.
4.  How do you personally support the Arts in Fort Collins? 
I have produced one video for FC Public Media and did a spark for
Ignite Fort Collins.  My daughter plans to take the FC Public Media 
summer video class.  As my current business takes off, I hope to sponsor
more FC Public Media content providers.  My current business project,
Videos NARCing-out Government Misconduct (http://narc.pruzlabs.com),
was born out of my experience with FC Public Media and uses the pay
what you want if you liked it model.




Visit his website for more info

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here.