Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Interns Aren't Free

I have been teaching an Arts Intern Seminar Class this Semester for CSU's LEAP Program. The whole experience has gotten me thinking about how the variety of ways interns are treated by their host organizations and educated by their schools.  I have worked very hard to get my students to understand every facet of their host organizations in social, political, and civic contexts.  Unfortunately, many businesses and non-profit organizations believe an intern is simply a 'free' worker.  In fact, as a host organization you owe the intern a learning opportunity.  That might take extra time and effort on your part, but, in the long run you both have a better experience and possibly a future stellar employee, if you put in the time.  Here is an interesting article on the subject.  As always, I am open to you comments about this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here.