Friday, October 17, 2014

Quit Giving Your Art Away

This was posted by Christopher Addison of the Addison Ripley Gallery in Washington, DC. Akemi Maegawa hits the nail on the head, DON'T GIVE YOUR WORK TO AUCTIONS FOR FREE!  Organizations, if you ask Artists for their art, you should at least
1. Pay artists 50% of the final auction price
2. Provide the name and contact info of the winning bidder to the artist
3. Give the artist at least one (maybe two) tickets to the 'Gala' if there is one.
FREE BEER IS NOT ENOUGH!
I am looking at you, "MASKS at MOA".

" I was asked to recommend number of artists as a curator for a local non profit organization's fund raising event. I sent back an e-mail with my opinion.

Hi (----),
Thank you for an invitation to be one of the curators for your 2015 (------) exhibition.
I am honored to be asked to be part of the event.
I will consider the list of the artists and would like to send it to you before November 3rd.
Before selecting and sending you their contacts, I have one question. What exactly are the benefits for participating artists to create their creative (----) for free except the exhibition opportunity and helping for "good cause"? Do they get free catalogs at least? I don't think I deserve a free catalogue being a curator but all the participating artists deserve one.
I know that most of the fund raising Galla tickets are often partially tax deductible but not for artists who donate their works or work time. Artists contribution is never considered tax deductible and I think the current tax system is totally unfair for that reason. Generally artists are less wealthy than those donors and collectors. However most of the events which require artists creativity use and abuse artists asking for free artwork and just saying it is for "good cause" to raise money for the organization. They give benefit for donors and collectors providing them great artworks with bargain price and tax benefit.
I am sorry about my direct question and an opinion. If I ask my colleague artists for help, most of them will help me with pleasure and probably they will agree to make (----) for your event but knowing the current unfair condition for artists in those fund raising events, I don't feel comfortable not to say anything. I never want to ask artists to make work and give away for free since nobody's time and creativity is free. We need to find a balance and fairness. And artists deserve better.
I know your organization is doing wonderful things for good cause but if you reconsider some of the current fund raising event condition and benefit for artists, and if you can give me your feed back, it would be really appreciated. I just want to develop more healthy and positive society for artists. And as a real supporter for artists, I would always like to speak out for artists who are quite often shy and scared.
Best,
Akemi Maegawa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here.