Monday, November 17, 2014

Mural makes it through


When I went to the newly renovated Lory Student center last month to drop off my work for the Contemporary Colorado exhibit, I was amazed by the transformation of the building, lots of glass, way more open and understandable as to where you are and where you want to go....One happy surprise was seeing the beautiful mosaic mural had been kept as an integral part of the front stair case.  Digging around a bit, I found an article written by Allison on the CSU Revitalization Blog  she covers the history of the mural and is as excited as I am that it is still gracing the halls of the Lory Student Center.  

"The Venetian glass mosaic mural is almost three stories high and was crafted by Boulder artists Amy Hamouda and Jack Bice.  Though the mosaic was designed in Boulder, it was developed in California and was eventually laid on their living room floor. The intention of the mosaic was for it to be a unified, three-tiered experience.  According to Dorothy Bridaham, who wrote about this beautiful mosaic when it first appeared in the ’60s, the mosaic, “leaves one with a feeling of pleasure and uplifted spirits…you just need to step outdoors to get it.” 


The sad thing is, I can't find much about either artist on the internet.  Jack was a WWII vet and studied at UC in boulder.  I find even less about his wife, Amy Hamouda.  I don't know if they have passed away or are no longer practicing art.  It makes you think about legacy and how our art can continue to inspire long after the piece is complete. 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Elizabeth, What a surprise to run across your article! Amy Hamouda and Jack Bice are my parents. And as a matter of fact, I was born when they were briefly in San Diego installing another mosaic mural and (according to your indications) designed the UC mural at the same time. My parents have both passed in the last ten years. They remained active artists through out their lives. I would be happy to provide more information if requested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! It is a beautiful piece and makes me smile every time I encounter it. Their vision lives on through the daily lives of CSU students.

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment here.